Education case studies
This section of the website is restricted to financial members of the Bioenergy Association. To enter it, please enter your username and password in the boxes below. If you would like the system to store this information on your computer for future sessions then tick the 'Remember Me' box (and don't use log out).
One of the biggest growth areas in recent years for the biomass energy sector has been the steady stream of schools and institutions converting to wood fuel. A full list of schools using biomass energy for heating are on this Information Sheet https://www.usewoodfuel.org.nz/documents/resource/Information-Sheets/IS05-Education-facilities-using-woodfuel.pdf
School case studies
- 1MW boiler conversion from coal to wood pellets - Rotorua
- 250kW step-grate Binder woodchip boiler, Alexandra
- 300kW Binder wood chip boiler - Thames High School
- 350kW wood chip boiler - Golden Bay High School & Pool, Takaka
- 500kW Binder woodfuel boiler - Westland High School, Hokitika
- 540kW KOB Pyrot chip boiler for Knox College, Dunedin
- 640kW wood-fired boilers at Cashmere High School, Christchurch
- 650kW Binder woodfuel boiler - Dunstan High School, Alexandra
- 730kW converted wood boiler for Mairehau High School, Christchurch
- ECO-HK 120 Hargassner wood chip boiler, Carrington College, Dunedin
- Tahuna Intermediate report for wood chip blower, Dunedin
Schools that are shouting their pleasure at moving to biomass energy are being captured on video.
There are a number of valuable lessons that can be learned from schools that have installed new wood fueled heat plant or have had an existing heating facility converted from coal to now run on wood fuel.
- Kaiapoi High School, success fuel
- Nayland College, fueling a sustainable future
- Golden Bay High School, success fuel
Link to other case studies
For information on other case studies search the Wood Energy Case Studies section of the website.